We are reducing our environmental footprint through a number of energy-saving and recycling initiatives because we recognise our responsibility to protect and enhance the environment in which we operate.
BOQ is committed to reducing carbon impact through reducing energy and emissions from business units, IT applications and assets.
We have been able to identify a number of initiatives to help us reduce our impact.
Following are some of the initiatives we have put in place:
- Consolidation and relocation of Brisbane Office Accommodation into a new 4.5 (Aspirational 5) Star NABERS rating office building. Consolidation of Sydney and Perth offices to utilise space more efficiently.
- The latest branch design includes the use of LED lighting and the installation of “G Switch’s” to reduce after hours non-essential services. Current data suggests that this can reduce energy consumption by up to 35%. Our retail and commercial fit outs also use environmentally-friendly products wherever possible.
- Trialled solar panels and LED lighting in a few branches, successfully reducing carbon emissions between 20-45%.
- Reduction of travel through greater use of technology and online based collaboration tools.
- Introduced new managed print services agreement with single provider, including swipe release and cost-centre charging to reduce paper consumption, which as part of our broader paper reduction initiatives resulted in printing 3.8 million less pages over 12 months.
- Introduced e-statements, estimated to save more than 600,000 sheets of paper a year
- Introduced electronic invoice processing, making paper invoices obsolete
- Moved from monthly to quarterly statements and consolidated customer statements into a single envelope, saving around 1.5 million envelopes per year.
- Recovered and redeployed 100 unused computers through an IT amnesty program.
- Looking to broaden vendor sustainability questionnaires to contractually oblige vendors to meet certain sustainability requirements.
The Bank employs secure document destruction and recycling in all corporate offices.
Mobile phones and computers
The Bank has been recycling obsolete mobile phone handsets, Blackberries and computer equipment.
Cartridges 4 Planet Ark
Printer, fax and photocopier cartridges used by the Bank are recycled by Cartridges 4 Planet Ark, with no waste going to landfills.
Recycled products used
Where possible and financially viable, recycled products are used by the Bank. This includes paper for large quantity printing such as the Shareholder Review and Annual Report being printed on FSC Mixed Sources paper from well-managed forests and recycled sources.
BOQ is aware that water is a vital resource we need to protect. All taps in the Bank's head office are therefore fitted with flow restrictors.
We also choose to use waterless printing processes for some of our larger publications, including the Shareholder Review and the Annual Report.
Sustainable lending is about recognising our corporate and social responsibility to maintain a lending portfolio comprised of sustainable businesses. Find out more about our approach to sustainable lending.