BOQ’s Cycle Tour
Supporting Stars Foundation
This June 21–22 BOQ riders, business partners and friends will set out to cycle 300km over two days through Queensland’s Sunshine Coast hinterland determined to raise $100,000 for Stars Foundation.
Founded in 2015, Stars Foundation provides full-time, intensive mentoring support programs to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander girls and young women in secondary schools in the Northern Territory, Queensland and Victoria. BOQ’s partnership with Stars Foundation aims help close the gap of Indigenous disadvantage.
Funds raised from BOQ’s Cycle Tour will go towards funding the expansion of Stars Foundation’s existing and emerging programs for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander girls around Australia.
BOQ’s Cycle Tour supporting Stars Foundation
Stars Foundation provides full-time, intensive mentoring support programs to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander girls and young women in secondary schools in the Northern Territory, Queensland and Victoria.
It is well known that a good education is one of the key factors most likely to reduce Indigenous disadvantage in Australia. Over the past decade there has been significant investment in educational support programs for Indigenous boys, but no matching investment for girls. Stars was founded in 2015 to address this gender inequity.
Stars program aims to empower Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander young women through education and delivers significantly improved economic, health and social outcomes, not just for the young women themselves, but also for their future families and their wider communities.
Since Stars was established in 2015, the organisation has contributed significantly to national Close the Gap targets. In 2018, 97 per cent of Stars' senior students completed Year 12 – an outstanding outcome when the national Indigenous Year 12 completion rate was just 65 per cent in 2016 (Census 2016).
Stars program is underpinned by four key areas of personal development for the young women including: Healthy Lifestyles, Wellbeing, Community, Culture and Leadership and Education, Training and Employment.
The key to the success of the Stars program are their full-time, on-site Mentors, who provide the young women with the intensive, daily support they need to identify their goals and reach their full potential.
Each Stars student works closely with her Mentor to develop a holistic individual plan to help her move positively toward achieving her goals and making active choices about her own future.
The funding raised through BOQ’s Cycle Tour will be directed towards Stars Foundation’s existing and emerging programs for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander girls in Queensland.
There is important information to consider before registering for BOQ’s Cycle Tour. Please carefully read the details below before registering in the online form.
We have confirmed share style accommodation for all BOQ’s Cycle Tour riders at Kenilworth Homestead, 2760 Eumundi - Kenilworth Rd, Kenilworth QLD 4574.
Your accommodation preferences will be taken upon registration.
Please ensure dietary requirements and meal attendance are submitted in the registration form.
Breakfasts, snacks and lunches will be included on route, with dinner being provided at Kenilworth Homestead.
Riders will be split into three pelotons, based on rider experience and preferred speed. All riders will be allocated into these pelotons prior to the event. Riders can swap pelotons throughout the tour but not throughout the day as the intention will be to keep the pelotons separate and limit road congestion.
The pace will be determined based on the ability to ride with a combination of consistency and safety as priority. Riders must stay together and ride handlebar to handle. Pelotons Captains will be on hand to control the pace and safety of each group.
Riders will be split into three pelotons, based on rider experience and preferred speed.
Pro peloton: will suit advanced riders, Love peloton: will suit intermediate riders and Bravehearts peloton: will suit beginner riders.
All riders will be allocated into these pelotons prior to the event. Riders can swap pelotons throughout the tour but not throughout the day as the intention will be to keep the pelotons separate and limit road congestion.
Routes Day 1
Families and friends are welcome at Kenilworth Homestead
Families and friends are welcome to join in the fun and stay at Kenilworth Homestead. There are campsites available.
Camping and dinner will come at additional cost, per head. Please email BOQcommunity@boq.com.au for more information.
Fees and Payments
Rider’s Fee Inclusions
The fee of $200 includes breakfast, lunch and dinner at different locations throughout the ride. Additionally, road fuel will be provided in the form of electrolytes, gels and energy bars. Additional costs for dinner guests and remedial massages must be pre-paid in the registration form.
Rider Rules and Safety
In order to minimise the risks of accidents riders need to follow some basic rules when participating in this event. The rules are designed to keep you and other participants safe through a mutual understanding on how to act in certain situations. BOQ will provide a Group Riding Etiquette manual prior to the event.
Sponsor the Ride
Become a sponsor of BOQ’s Cycle Tour 2019 and your funds will go directly towards improving the health and education outcomes for Indigenous girls.
- Naming rights for a team from your business to participate in BOQ’s Cycle Tour. You can nominate up to 10 cyclists from your organisation to join the team, which can be blended with riders from across BOQ and our partners to balance numbers. Please note that to maximise the donation to the Stars Foundation we ask all riders to cover their own rider’s fees to participate in the event.
- 2 x complimentary tickets to attend BOQ’s Cycle Tour fundraising luncheon held in Brisbane, Sydney or Melbourne. Additional tickets can be purchased.
- Logo included on cycling jerseys and event t-shirts, branded merchandise and team kits.
- Exclusive branding for Major Sponsors at the Friday evening rider’s dinner – supply a pull-up banner, take home gift and special announcements from MC.
- Opportunity to be on the judging panel for awards over the weekend.
- Acknowledgement on BOQ’s Facebook and rider communications.
- 5 x reserved spots to participate with team BOQ on BOQ’s Cycle Tour. Please note this does not cover rider’s fees which will need to be paid separately at $200 each.
- 2 x reserved invites to attend the BOQ’s Cycle Tour Fundraising Luncheon in Brisbane, Sydney or Melbourne. Additional tickets can be purchased.
- Logo included on event t-shirt and BOQ’s Cycle Tour website.
- Acknowledgement on BOQ’s Facebook and rider EDMs.
- We understand that a 300km bike ride might not be everyone's cup of tea and any form of donation is highly appreciated.
Confirmation of Sponsorship
Please confirm your sponsorship or donation by emailing the BOQ Community Team direct at BOQcommunity@boq.com.au.
You will then be provided with instructions to transfer funds online or pay via invoice. All sponsorship fees and donations go directly to Stars Foundation.