BOQ Aspley Owner Managers Phil Carrington, Craig Henderson & Matt Glennon celebrate their 10 year anniversary of the Aspley franchise today (30 April).
Phil originally commenced the franchise, with Craig & Matt joining the business progressively over recent years.
All three have banking as part of their DNA with a combined industry tenure of 73 years. Not with-standing, it is their dedicated community orientated focus and passion for their customers that has formed the foundation stone of what is a unique financial services centric business.
We spoke to Phil, Craig & Matt and asked them to share their collective insights from the last 10 years;
What have you enjoyed the most about being an Owner Manager with BOQ?
- Helping people fulfil their dreams & building long term customer relationships
- Watching business owners grow & develop their business
- The challenge of it all, not only as a banker but as a small business owner which provides its own unique set of challenges
- Have control over your outcomes & be the master of your own destiny.
Thinking about your business, what do you see as your greatest asset & why?
- The people we deal with every day, our staff, our customers & our internal and external stakeholder partners.
- Being able to relate to our customers, as small business owners we understand the challenges.
What is the best thing about running your own business?
- The autonomy and the ability to shape something that you can be proud to say is your own
- Being able to commit to our customers that we are here for the long haul
- Seeing your hard work pay off. Developing and implementing the systems and processes and seeing these work successfully to move your business forward.
What are your top tips for running a successful business?
- Respect your customers
- Bring a positive mindset to the business every day
- Surround yourself with the right people and ensure you allocate sufficient time to work on your business
- Create time to ‘stop to smell the roses’
- Have a consistent social media presence
- Goal setting as an individual but also as a team
- Accountability – holding each other accountable to doing what we said we would, do when we said we would do it.
In what ways do you connect with & support your local community?
We are passionate about our local community and support the following:
- Sponsorships of 3 local schools, a school chaplaincy program, and Sandgate kindergarten
- Chamber of Commerce (Brisbane North, Sandgate Chapters)
- Charitable organisations – prostate cancer, charity golf days, and the Volunteer Marine Rescue.
Please join in us in congratulating Phil, Craig and Matt on this milestone and we wish them every future success.