We are committed to engaging positively with all our stakeholders in a fair and transparent way to create value for our customers, staff, investors and the communities in which we operate.
Our approach to sustainability is aligned with the nature of our business. As a financial services provider, our primary function is gathering deposits from and lending to customers, so our sustainability efforts focus on our economic and customer impacts. Because our business contributes to how capital is allocated in the economy, we are conscious of how our customers use the funds that we lend. You can find out more about this on our approach to sustainable lending page.
Our sustainability framework guides our approach to sustainability. It focuses on areas that provide the best opportunity to deliver our business strategy and contribute to the wellbeing of our stakeholders. You can find out more about our approach by clicking on the headings of the framework areas below.
We manage a range of sustainability issues as part of our everyday business operations. While all of these issues are important, our priorities may change over time. Find out more about our most important sustainability issues.
Our sustainability scorecard details our achievements in our 2018 financial year and sets out our sustainability targets. Our non-financial performance measures highlight our performance against a range of key non-financial metrics. These measures are also featured in our 2018 Sustainability Report, which focuses on how we engage with stakeholders as well as on our performance against social, environmental and economic challenges and opportunities.
Running a business sustainably is a continuous process – one that grows and changes as technology, the economy and consumer preferences and behaviours change. It’s all part of our journey to becoming Australia’s most loved bank.
Putting customers at the heart of everything we do
- Customer satisfaction
- Transparent, accessible and affordable products
- Being available for customers when and how they want
- Customer complaint resolution
- Financial hardship support
- Information security and privacy protection
Doing the right thing
- Transparent disclosure
- Business conduct and ethics
- Financial and business management
- Sustainable shareholder returns
- Risk management
Responsibly managing our environmental impacts
- Efficient use of resources
- Environmentally-friendly property and assets
- Reducing environmental impact of operations
- Understanding environmental impact of our customers
Supporting the communities we operate in
- Stakeholder engagement
- Public policy contribution
- National community partnerships supporting youth
- Regional community programs through retail and business network
- Employee dollar-matching and workplace giving program
- Investor dividend donation program
- Workplace giving
- Disaster relief support through retail branch footprint
- Economic contribution
People and culture
Creating a place where people love to work
- Employee engagement and retention
- Diversity, inclusion and flexibility
- Workplace health and safety
- Investing in developing our people
- Franchisee support
- Reward and recognition
- 144 culture - 1 mission (to be Australia's most loved bank), 4 strategic pillars (customer in charge, grow the right way, there's always a better way, loved like no other), 4 values (impact, integrity, collaboration, passion)