Who can I speak with?

Leaving a partner can be complex, and we are here to help support you in regaining your financial independence.

Our branches are here to help

You can visit, call or email a BOQ branch. To locate your BOQ branch please visit our branch locator page. 

If you are worried about not being able to meet your financial commitments, you should speak to our Customer Assistance team: 
Our call centre is here to help with general enquiries such as:
  • To help you get a clear picture of accounts with us
  • To help you change an address or change an account
  • To discuss steps to remove joint account holders
  • To block an account should there be a dispute
  • To connect you to your branch or relationship specialist
  • You can call them on 1300 55 72 72, visit www.boq.com.au/contact-us for our operating hours.

What other support is available?

  • Relationship break ups can be tough though they never should be abusive or violent. If you are in need of extra help click here.
  • To help you calculate how much you can save based on your income and expenses, go to our Budget Planner
  • To help you make an informed decision about your financial future. A range of helpful resources are available from Money Smart.  You may also want to seek legal, financial or tax advice about your circumstances
  • Financial Counsellors can also help you set a budget and identify any government or other relief that may be available to you. Listings of Financial Counsellors can be found at The National Debt Helpline website on 1800 007 007
  • Ask Izzy is a mobile website that connects people who are in crisis with the services they need right now and nearby. To help you with a wide range of support, available within your post code, go to https://askizzy.org.au