As 2021 came to an end, did you decide you were ready to take your life to the next level in 2022? With January out of the way, it’s time to make sure you’re still on track to fulfilling your New Year’s Resolutions. To succeed in your goals, you have to know both how to set reasonable milestones and remain motivated to achieve them.
What parts of your life can benefit from an upgraded commitment?
First, identify what areas of your life could use some improvement. We suggest choosing one item from each of your major life areas to focus on for a start:
It’s easy to let your personal life slide when you are focused on other issues. Making time for yourself and others is an important part of staying balanced. Consider the following options:
- Yourself. Have you been wanting to enjoy a hobby, learn a language, or develop new skills? Now is your chance to focus on self-improvement. Adopt a pet, join a club, meditate, or simply find time to crack open a new book.
- Your friends. Has it been ages since you managed to get away for an evening of socialisation? Select a few people from your inner circle to make more time for, and consider branching out and making a new friend as well.
- Your relationship. Do you have a significant other? Making time for you and your partner to reconnect could be the most important thing you do all year. Find ways to rekindle the relationship, and enjoy each other’s company whether on a fancy date out or a cosy night in.
Ready to take better care of your health? Consider the following options to pursue wellness in 2022:
- Eat better. Are you missing out on important nutrients in your daily meal plan? Commit to reliably making your last meal of the day a good one, and work your way up to every meal, every day. Balance enjoyment of your food with making sure your body’s needs are supported.
- Be more active. Try walking more at work or taking the stairs instead of the elevator. Low impact exercises can be done at your desk. Find out if your employer promotes a wellness initiative and sign up. Focus on fitness instead of weight and watch your health improve.
- Don’t forget mental health. If you have anxiety or depression, seek help. You don’t have to do everything alone! Consider making one resolution to keep a journal, and list three good things that happened during your day followed by three strong feelings you had.
Is your professional life stagnating? This can be the year you have a breakthrough. Decide where you want to be by the end of 2022 and make a plan to get there.
- New Promotion. Are you being recompensed according to your true value? If not, asking for a raise might give you more sense of job satisfaction and help you get closer to your goals.
- New job. If you seem to have hit a ceiling in your current position, maybe it’s time to move on. Make getting your CV in order a priority on your list of resolutions.
- New industry. Maybe your field of interest has changed. It’s a valid choice to start over and do something new! Consider cross-training or pursuing further education.
What are you saving for? You can make great progress towards your goals just by instilling the right kinds of habits when it comes to your money.
- Big purchases. Looking forward to a new car or a new home? That can mean needing to hit a specific savings goal. Get a jump start by making a financial plan to achieve your mission – and then sticking to it.
- Future dreams. Want to start seriously planning a wedding or the start of your family? Now is the time to think about what those plans mean financially. Consider how you can optimise your long term finances and leverage investments.
- Life experiences. A terrific holiday or travel adventure can give you a new perspective. Adjust your spending to save money – and then boost those savings by using your BOQ BLUE VISA & PLATINUM VISA to earn Q reward points which can be redeemed for flights and other special incentives.
How to achieve your goals
Be SMART when setting your goals:
- Specific: Define exactly what are you trying to accomplish – weight loss or to afford a holiday?
- Measurable: Do you need to lose five kilograms or 10? How much will your holiday cost?
- Actionable: How will you achieve your goal – cutting carbs, or saving part of each paycheque?
- Realistic: Can you afford to put back 20% of your income, or is 10% more doable?
- Time-bound: Set milestones with deadlines attached to make yourself accountable.
Creating mini "stepping stone" goals allows you to work toward your bigger goals throughout the year. You can also create rewards for when you hit each milestone, to keep yourself motivated.
Make your dreams come true with goal setting done right, and boost your results with financial choices that make sense. If you aren’t earning rewards with BOQ cards yet, why not come around to a local branch and make an enquiry today?
Platinum Visa Credit Card
Earn credit card rewards points on your Platinum Rewards Credit Card, with 0% p.a. interest free for 14 months. Bonus credit card points on eligible transactions. Apply for your Platinum Rewards Credit Card today!